Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Index du Forum

Bienvenue sous le Second Empire

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Details

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Index du Forum -> RECONSTIT' ET MILITARIA -> LE 18ème DE LIGNE RECONSTITUE -> Matériels et équipements
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Ven 22 Fév - 06:35 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
So I have been looking at a lot of the posts over the last few days and I have a few questions. 

Are a lot of the uniforms of the 1870 period more machine sewn than hand sewn?
Are the shirts and drawers cotton flannel?
Has anyone done an article on shelter half tents?
What about socks; were they issued?
I have never seen any utensils (knife, fork,spoons);were they issued?
What about personal items; what would be in a soldier's Haversack (books, cards, games, shaving gear)?
Original items, do you find them in France at "flea markets" or are they rare like American Civil war items and expensive?

There is a lot of information on this forum Great Job!

Bill
pacofeanor
Modérateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 22 Fév - 17:57 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

For personal items :

http://18edelignesecondempire.xooit.fr/t178-tradition-magasine-Le-fantassin…

you will find good mirors here :

http://www.ezrabarnhousegoods.com/products.html  (traveling mirror!)

for half shelter (this is the only plate existing !!):

http://18edelignesecondempire.xooit.fr/t188-JMO-1884-sur-le-materiel-de-cam…

for shirt and drawers, they are in a kind of osnaburg ( more fine !) not flanelle !!!  with two blue stripes on the sides (wich apears or not,  depends of the part used!!), like coton duck blu lined for late war US shelters but lighter!

i'm in hollydays , nad as soon as i come back, i will post on personnal items!

best regards
paco
Henri Aillaud

MessagePosté le: Mer 17 Avr - 09:49 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

as for the socks, and a few other details, from a testimony of an american who served in the legion during the 1860's

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0B16FE385410738DDDAE099…

enjoy
Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Mer 17 Avr - 23:18 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

Henri,

Very interesting.  I don't know if I want to go that authentic.  I would assume that by '70 they were issued socks.  It is cheaper to use old rags than having socks woven. 

I have thought about doing Legion as well as Line.  Most people are going to think that that is what I am anyway.  When I do an impression I try to do the basic soldier, as the special troops, such as the Legion, paratroopers and Rangers were very small units and for the most part weren't the troops that took the brunt.  I am also old and pulling off a Ranger impression is a little far fetched.  I know it is a fantasy hobby but I like to be a little believable.  You are in Texas so I guess you do the Mexican Campaign?

Bill Munday
Henri Aillaud

MessagePosté le: Jeu 18 Avr - 05:16 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

yes, i do 1863-1867 mostly but the gear i have works for Algeria and Italy. i use bandanas for socks, its actually quite easy on the feet, and in hot weather in keeps your feet dry. 
pacofeanor
Modérateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu 18 Avr - 08:13 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

Hello ! thank you for these very usefull links, a rare witness that explain what is realy worn! during campaigning ! (half shelters half tent poles, woolen shirts????; linen drawers etc .....)

best regards
paco
Andfon2
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu 18 Avr - 09:55 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

In the case of the Legion , Bill, the uniform is the same as the line.
By the way, what are you going to do for your buttons?
And what regiment do you want to portray?
Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Jeu 18 Avr - 23:23 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

Andre',

Yes, all I will need is the different colored epulets and a star on the front of the kepi?

I have no tie to any regiment so the 18th will be fine.  I guess that being a member of this forum I do have a tie to the 18th now and it is kinda cool that there is representation worldwide.  I have a couple of friends that make figures so if I can get a large and small button I will be able to have them made.  Eugene has them for sale but the postage would be high so if I can get things made here it would be cheaper.  I am hoping he will sell me just one of each.  I will also order a waistbelt with buckle and slides. 

On another note, I am 55 years old, how many old guys do you think were in the.  Did they have a mandatory retirement age or did could you make a home in the army like here in the states?  Was there such a thing as am old soldiers home?  My primary impresion will be more Living History as it would be hard doing a battle reenactment by myself.  How many events do you guys do in a year.  Do you do Living History demonstrations more than reenactments.  It also looks as if you tend to do more Crimea and Italy.  How many men do you field at any one time?

Bill
Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Jeu 18 Avr - 23:24 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

Henri,

What events do you do?

Bill
Henri Aillaud

MessagePosté le: Jeu 18 Avr - 23:29 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

we were supossed to have a cinco de mayo event, and go as fusillie marines, but it got canned. i'm going to a timeline style event in austin this weekend. there will be another one in san antonio in september. i'm trying to get a camerone event goin but i'm not getting alot of suport. the guys in my neck of the woods are all talk and no show. i usually lone ranger it
Andfon2
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 19 Avr - 10:07 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

Hi Bill

You should ask Eugène first for a quote on shipping the buttons ( Russian Post is cheap).
He has some in stock or on order as we recently cancelled one.
As for our events there have been none as yet as we have been delayed by unfortunate circumstances and we have 4 uniformed people (with trousers now in production) in the 18e but several more are interested and we could easily equip a few with all our surplus equipment. On top of that there are 2 more groups that we are thinking of working with, not to mention the ones in Italy.
In Russia/Crimea they are about 15-20 I think.
This is still early days but the machine is launched.
As we are all into ACW reenactment we will probably do the same (drill, camp, skirmish).

For your epaulets, if you do 1870 you need scarlet ones, and you can use them also as grenadier ones for the earlier period.
For the FFL, the star on the képi indeed, but also different buttons.
In terms of age I think there was some kind of age limit but more research is needed on that.

Dernière édition par Andfon2 le Ven 19 Avr - 18:38 (2013); édité 1 fois

MessagePosté le: Ven 19 Avr - 18:30 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

I will contact Eugene. 

I thought you guys were more established in this period but I guess it is a work in progress.  That is fine, we can all learn and build together.  What is the general feeling in France, from the public, as far as reenactments and living history demonstrations?  With so much military history to choose from I was wondering if it is well received by the public.   

Bill
Andfon2
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven 19 Avr - 18:37 (2013)    Sujet du message: Details Répondre en citant

1870 has been started some time ago, Crimea is pretty new. That's the charm about it !But the uniforms are very similar.
Judging from our participation ( as ACW reenactors)  to public events people are quite interested.
there is a lot of choice indeed, so many periods you can portray !
Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 08:04 (2017)    Sujet du message: Details

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Index du Forum -> RECONSTIT' ET MILITARIA -> LE 18ème DE LIGNE RECONSTITUE -> Matériels et équipements Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation