Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Index du Forum

Bienvenue sous le Second Empire

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Hello

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Index du Forum -> DISCUSSIONS COMME CA... ENTRE NOUS -> NOUVEAUX VENUS, PRESENTEZ-VOUS
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Lun 18 Fév - 07:37 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Gentlemen, my name is Bill Munday, I live in the City of Lincoln Park, a suburb of "le village des détroits" (Detroit), in the former French colony of Michigan, now part of the USA.  I have been reenacting since 1983 starting with the American Civil War.  I have done the Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, Korea and I even put together a kit for the Berlin Crisis of 1961, and I am doing the War of 1812 for the bicentennial.

In 1970 my father asked me what I wanted for Christmas.  I told him, an 1861 Springfield Musket.  On Christmas morning I was greeted with an Model 1866 Chassepot, dated 1871.  It was a beautiful weapon but I had no idea what it was (I never did get a Springfield).  In the days before the internet it wasn't easy to find out about things quickly.  In time I learned about the rifle, as well as the Franco Prussian War.  Years later, as I got into reenacting, I had a thought in the back of my mind to put together a kit to go with the rifle.  We do a couple of timeline events each year that would be a good venue for this.  I have done some research and have picked up a few items but I have not really seriously done anything yet.  I was directed to Paco's blog and contacted him.  Paco suggested that I join the forum so here I am.  I am fairly handy with a needle, thread and a sewing machine, so I can make some equipment and uniforms.  I need help with patterns.  I have copies of a couple of magazines with articles by Louis Delperier but I need better drawings.  I have read many of the posts here and I believe I have found the right place and the right group of people.  I am looking forward to working on my kit.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill
Andfon2
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun 18 Fév - 10:41 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

Hi Bill & welcome to our forum.

So you want to make an infantry kit for 1870?
18eme de Ligne for instance?

Best regards 
pacofeanor
Modérateur

MessagePosté le: Lun 18 Fév - 12:26 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

hello Bill nice to meet you here !

i hope you will find correct paterns very soon!

best regards
paco
Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Lun 18 Fév - 17:09 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

Andre and Paco, thank you for the welcome.  Andre, I have not gotten as far as to pick a unit to do.  The 18th would be fine.  Is there a good history of the 18th?  Why did you guys choose to portray them?  Did you have someone in Michigan make your haversack last year?  I know a guy who does leather work.  I saw him yesterday at a gun show and when I was explaining the haversack to him he told me he made a haversack like that for someone in Belgium last year. 

Paco, I have looked at your post of the 1845 and 1858 Journals; very good.  What are the differences between the 1858 Capote and the 1867; collar height?  You told me in one of your emails that there is not an agreement among you as to the correct color for the overcoat; what are your thoughts?

I am getting pumped up to get this project completed.
Andfon2
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun 18 Fév - 18:15 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

Hi again Bill

Yes Joe Toth made the knapsack for me.

We decided to portray the 18eme de Ligne because our Russian friends already did. This means for instance buttons are cheaper as the molds already exist.

For the overcoat we did take the color available from Hainsworth and then they stopped making it so we had more  cloth made the same color elsewhere. We still have some in reserve if you want.
The red and blue cloth are still available. There is even someone retailing Hainsworth cloth in Gettysburg, it would be good to check what they have.

Best regards
Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Lun 18 Fév - 19:06 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

Andre,

I know Joe, he has done a couple of projects for me.  We discussed your haversack yetserday.  Small world and getting smaller.

I had seen the posts that the Russian group is making equipment.  As a practical matter the 18th makes sense.  Here in the states, with the CW, there is more of a connection to certain units based on regional loyalty, family etc.  This is probably not as pronounced in France as here, unless you can trace an ancestor to a unit.

I'll check out Gettysburg for the cloth.  What was the product name of the cloth that you used? Is the red a "madder" red like used in the period?
Andfon2
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun 18 Fév - 19:18 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

The Gettysburg vendor is here:
http://www.woodedhamlet.com/about_us/index.html

it seems they have more cloth types

http://www.woodedhamlet.com/whats_new/index.html

you are looking for 
overcoating brick red ( madder red)
overcoating denim ( for the capote)
Royal blue ( rest of the uniform)

Woolrich also do the madder red but it is a bit thin.
http://www.woolrichfabrics.com/collection/civil-war_reenactment/5100-466.php

Her is also the Hainsworth website for the full range: http://hainsworth.co.uk/  

Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Mer 27 Fév - 19:46 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

Andre', how much material is needed to make a great coat; I understand it depends on my size but what is a good guage?  The best material would be the Denim from Hainsworth, if I can find it here in the states?  What would be the cost of the material from the group's stock?  I am working on my kepi.  I have some nice red facing wool from my War of 1812 uniform that I am going to use.  I copied the pattern that I found in one of the posts.

Bill
Andfon2
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu 28 Fév - 12:39 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

3.5 m of cloth ( width 1.5m).
120€+ shipping.
Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Jeu 28 Fév - 19:17 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

Andre',

I contacted the Wooded Hamlet Shop, they sold to another woman and are now known as Needle and Thread.  Darlene said that she did not have any Denim Overcoat material, never did.  So I guess I may need to draw from the regimental stock.  Hainsworth is still showing the Denim Overcoating on their website.  I will contact them as well but if you guys are willing to sell me the cloth I would like to be uniform with the rest of the regiment.  I may never get back over to France but if I do I would like to look uniform.  Some friends and I came over in '96 and toured WWI battlefield sites for a week.  This was pre 9/11 and we got really cheap tickets.

Anyway, I will try Hainsworth and if they can't help me I will be looking to buy the cloth from the group.

Bill   
Andfon2
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu 28 Fév - 19:39 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

Ok  Bill

Keep me updated.

thanks
Bill Munday

MessagePosté le: Lun 4 Mar - 16:05 (2013)    Sujet du message: Hello Répondre en citant

Andre',

I emaile Hainsworth that they were still showing the Denim and Garter Blue in their online catalog and wanted to know if they had restocked.  They emailed back that both the Denim and Garter Blue Overcoat material are discontinued.  They do have the Garter Blue in the very fine cloth.  So I guess I will have to draw from the regimental stocks.  What will be teh best payment option; PayPal? 

Bill
Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 21:50 (2016)    Sujet du message: Hello

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Index du Forum -> DISCUSSIONS COMME CA... ENTRE NOUS -> NOUVEAUX VENUS, PRESENTEZ-VOUS Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation