Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Forum Index

Bienvenue sous le Second Empire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Forum Index -> CHAPITRE HISTORIQUE -> LE SECOND EMPIRE -> Photos et illustrations
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Zouave

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov - 21:04 (2012)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

Don Troiani, famous American military artist, produced this plate...

The plate depicts a soldier of the 18th Massachusetts Infantry early in the war.

Troiani wrote this:

"A soldier of the 18th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry wearing the full French Chasseur (Light Infantry) uniform. French Chasseur uniforms (10,000 sets were bought by the U.S. government) were issued to 3 regiments and possibly several others later on.

Although incredibly well made many of the uniforms were too small for the whole lot to be issued. Most were returned to storage by the
units, however some parts like the fatigue jackets and accoutrements were kept and used as late at the Gettysburg campaign. The French dark sky blue kersey (slate blue gray) trousers and leggings were issued to the 155th PV (after enlarging them!) and the talmas were cut up to make the 155th's Zouave jackets."

Is it a good rendition of the French Chasseur uniform?

The uniform in the plate is identical to the French Chasseur uniform?

Modérateur

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov - 15:49 (2012)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.33584214272.27311.782959272&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151199820129273.480706.782959272&type=3

Zouave

PostPosted: Sat 1 Dec - 01:55 (2012)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

Thanks, but those links are not working for me.
Modérateur

PostPosted: Sat 1 Dec - 11:19 (2012)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

are you on FB?
Zouave

PostPosted: Thu 6 Dec - 14:07 (2012)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

Yes.

Still not working.

Modérateur

PostPosted: Thu 6 Dec - 18:44 (2012)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

ask to be my friend.
Zouave

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec - 14:15 (2012)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

Thanks for adding me on FB, André! 

Very interesting stuff... I'll take a closer look later.

Modérateur

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb - 12:59 (2013)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

Un nouvelle image de chasseurs à pied. 1860? Châlons?

tontondelpy

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb - 18:21 (2013)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

Très beau cliché à tous points de vue! Un agrandissement de l'original aiderait à lire le numéro du bandeau du képi, et on saurait si c'est un bataillon ayant séjourné à Châlons.
pacofeanor
Modérateur

PostPosted: Sat 2 Mar - 18:21 (2013)    Post subject: French Chasseur a Pied uniform in the American Civil War Reply with quote

c'est une trés belle photo effectivement !! Issue d'un vue stéréo si j'ai bien tout compris ?

cordialement
paco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Forum Index -> CHAPITRE HISTORIQUE -> LE SECOND EMPIRE -> Photos et illustrations All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation