Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Index du Forum

Bienvenue sous le Second Empire

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Soldat, 18e De Ligne

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Index du Forum -> CHAPITRE HISTORIQUE -> LE SECOND EMPIRE
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Roystone

MessagePosté le: Mer 28 Mai - 11:38 (2014)    Sujet du message: Soldat, 18e De Ligne Répondre en citant

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello,

I am researching a soldier of the 18e De Ligne, a Pierre Assolent, whose pension record I have, which shows him born in 1825 at Plauzat, Puy de Dome. He served 31 years (pension) until 1873 and was I know, in the Crimea in 1855. I also know he was awarded the Medaille Militaire in 1869 (merci Sylvian Metivier!)

Can I ask knowledgeable members a few questions that will help me in trying to build a picture of his service?

1. Apart from the Crimea, which campaigns did the 18e de Ligne also serve in between 1840-1873? Italie 1859 probably?
2. Would he have been awarded the MM for long service rather than gallantry? Or a bit of both?
3. What was the usual age to enlist at in the French Army?
4. Would he have service records at Vincennes? And are these easily obtainable?
5. Is it likely he would have also been in the war of 1870?

Many thanks to all- and apologies for this posting not being in the beautiful language - my mastery of French is best suited to conversation!

Roy Mills UK
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mer 28 Mai - 16:01 (2014)    Sujet du message: Soldat, 18e De Ligne Répondre en citant

There is an " historique" which I own, ( a reprint)  http://www.abebooks.fr/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=9781160121477&cm_sp=m…
I will have another look but as far I can remember they were in Crimea and Italy, but not so much in the heat of the fight.
In 1870, all French infantry was involved so yes.
colonel Du Pin

MessagePosté le: Mer 28 Mai - 18:19 (2014)    Sujet du message: Soldat, 18e De Ligne Répondre en citant

Hello

on the site of Sylvain Metivier (médaille militaire) , it's not ASSOLENT Pierre but ASSOLANT Jean : fusilier cannonier auxiliaire au 43è régiment de ligne, et qui reçut la médaille militaire le 31.10.1855 pour la prise de Sébastopol (crimean war) ...

Best regards
Djedj

MessagePosté le: Jeu 29 Mai - 04:18 (2014)    Sujet du message: Soldat, 18e De Ligne Répondre en citant

Hi Roy,
It is surprising that you would not have his service details with his Pension records ?
Is it the Vincennes Pension file under reference 4YF86546 ?

Also - would you happen to have his Crimea medal or diploma ?
If he was already with the 18e de Ligne in the Crimea, then finding him in one of the "Registres Matricules" should not be too difficult.

As for 1870, he was 45 years old at the time ; he would have taken part in the War - unless bad health or habits (I'm talking absinthe...) would have grounded him at the Depot, training recruits... only his file can say that.

Cheers,
Jerome
Visiter le site web du posteur
Roystone

MessagePosté le: Jeu 29 Mai - 23:27 (2014)    Sujet du message: Soldat, 18e De Ligne Répondre en citant

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your answers!

Thanks Andre, for the mention of the reprint of the historique of the 18e- it is a lot cheaper than the original one I found on ABE. Is the book with the colured front page of a soldat looking out over the Auvergne? I would appreciate a look-up to see if it mentions much about the 18e in the Crimea. I will likely but my own copy if it does!

Colonel - yes, I found Pierre Assolent a few weeks back on Sylvain's site, but for some reason he has disappeared from the listing. As you say, the onle other is Jean Assolant, 43e. I believe Sylvain is looking into why this has happened. it is a mystery!

Thankyou too Jerome, for the advice. The only record U have is a table of pensions, dated 30 Dec 1873, which lists quite a few pensioners. I got this from the Genealogie website, but don't know the reference for it. Is it likely that M.Assolent will have service records at Vincennes, and at the reference you give? Are these available online, or will I have to visit? And is it easy, or a bureaucratic nightmare?
Yes, I do have his Crimea medal, impressed in the usual letters, and I have put an MM with it for completeness, for now. But seems he might have been in other campaigns too, which is interesting. Don't know if he lived long enough to get an 1870 commemorative medal though!

Manythanks again for all your advice

Bien amicalement

Roy

MessagePosté le: Ven 30 Mai - 04:57 (2014)    Sujet du message: Soldat, 18e De Ligne Répondre en citant

Bonsoir Roy,
Yes Assolent has an individual Pension file at Vincennes under reference 4YF86546.
Not available online, has to be reserved and consulted on site
Which takes a little organizing (reservation 3 weeks in advance).

It happens now and again (but very rarely) that some of these references lead to no file (for a few cases where the files were used in some widow pension requests that were misplaced).
If going to Vincennes, I'd suggest to also book one of the 18e de Ligne "Registres Matricules" ; Assolent having served so long, should be present in the following :
34YC826 (This should be first volume of the 1865 re-numbering, giving new Matricule numbers to all the soldiers of the regiment).
Not available online, has to be booked as well.
I'd say you have an 80% chance of finding Assolent in that one as well.

Their email is :
shd-vincennes.salle-lecture-louis14.fct@intradef.gouv.fr

Assolent was awarded the Medaille Militaire by a Decret dated 13 March 1869.
This is a general Decret awarding one Medaille Militaire per Regiment, rather than for specific reason.
This will typically recognize the merits of a deserving old soldier ; it is to be noted that the vast majority of Medailles Militaires awarded thus were to Sergents, rather than plain Privates.
The conduct/campaign services/length of services/actions and wounds would have been considered in selecting the recipient.

Cheers,
Jerome
Roystone

MessagePosté le: Ven 30 Mai - 19:40 (2014)    Sujet du message: Soldat, 18e De Ligne Répondre en citant

Bonjour Jerome, and many thanks for the references for Assolent. Having those numbers already is like finding gold and certainly gives me quite a head start!

Can I ask if you can recommend any professional researchers in Paris, or environs, that will find these documents for me at Vincennes? (I ask because the chances of me getting there are slim, but not impossible as I have a brother in law who lives near Paris who we visit quite often.) But I do notice from their website that they do offer a reproduction service, with a two month wait, but do you happen to know if this series of individual pension files are reproducible?I will contact them anyway to see!

I note your comment about the award of the Medaille Militaire - perhaps he could have risen to Sergent by this time. The award in some instances was more like a meritorious/long service recognition therefore, in the absence of another award like it. Did wounds sustained carry any more kudos?!

Very many thanks,

Roy

MessagePosté le: Sam 31 Mai - 23:28 (2014)    Sujet du message: Soldat, 18e De Ligne Répondre en citant

Bonsoir Roy,
Sadly no information for you re. researcher or reproduction services.

A typical pension file for a rank and file would be around 5-15 pages I guess (the matricule register...400+, so don't go for this one !)

Btw, note Assolent was still a "Soldat" (Private) when he was awarded the Medaille Militaire - and when he was awarded his pension in 1873.
Yes in that case the medal would most likely be a meritorous/long service combined thing.
But yes, wounds sustained along his career would definitely have been taken into consideration.

Cheers,
Jerome
Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 21:48 (2016)    Sujet du message: Soldat, 18e De Ligne

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Bienvenue sous le Second Empire Index du Forum -> CHAPITRE HISTORIQUE -> LE SECOND EMPIRE Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation